Vivarium Operations Technician I
TITLE AND CLASSIFICATION: Vivarium Operations Technician I / Non-exempt Position
REPORTING LOCATION: Rockville, MD
REPORTS TO: Senior Manager, Laboratory Operations
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Support in vivo oncology studies in mice as a member of the Vivarium Operations Team
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide animal care including handling, receipt and husbandry procedures
- Provide animal care including feeding and watering with food and water consumption monitoring
- Conduct animal observation for general health and overall well-being
- Clean equipment, rooms and facility according to a schedule devised by senior personnel; including floor sweeping and washing, cage washing and sterilization, and waste removal
- Document and initial required information in relevant room and log books
- Material and supply distribution and waste handling
- Record data using laboratory information management systems
- Work weekends and holidays on rotating basis
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of accountability, integrity and confidentiality.
- Creative problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
- Superior planning, organizational, computer, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to assist with other duties in a dynamic environment
- Understanding of animal welfare and clinical testing regulations and standards (e.g. AAALAC, CLIA)
- Ability to observe safety and security procedures
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS degree in biology, pharmacology, or related field, or minimum or 1 year of related experience
- Experience in contract research animal facility or industry setting is preferred
- AALAS certification preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle and feel.
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing.
- In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards.
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.