Scientist, Cellular Immunology
TITLE AND CLASSIFICATION: Scientist, Exempt
REPORTING LOCATION: Rockville, MD
REPORTS TO: Director of Immuno-Oncology Research
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Aids in conduct of scientific projects related to ex-vivo assay development for the Research and Services of Champions Oncology. Manages in vitro studies and troubleshoots as necessary.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Formulate and implement effective strategies without immediate direction when:
- Managing scientific studies related to Cellular Immunology Research and Services of Champions Oncology.
- Designing, conducting in vitro studies, analyzing data and presenting results
- Consulting on and/or managing studies for collaborators and clients
- Conducting other R&D as needed
- Provide regular updates to Director of Immuno-Oncology Research and other internal personnel.
- Communicate with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies as necessary.
- Assist with regulatory and sponsor audits of the facility and studies.
- Design studies, interpret and report results for ImmunoOncology R&D within established timelines
- Serve as in-house expert in cellular immunology assay development
- Maintain research collaborations through active engagement
- Develop laboratory protocols and SOP
- Train internal staff or external collaborators on scientific processes
- Maintain knowledge and subject matter expertise as relates to Immuno-Oncology scientific advances as well as competitive intelligence
- Present data, compose manuscripts & prepare posters/presentations at national/international meetings or symposia in support of business objectives
- Establish and maintain cross-functional team interactions to achieve R&D objectives
- Assist with other tasks/duties as needed in a small company environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- This position requires reasoning, scientific, mathematical, writing, and language skills at a post graduate or equivalent level. Lucid conceptualization skills are also required.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the field of cellular immuno-oncology
- Hands on execution of in vitro studies with human immune cells and human tissue samples, including patient derived xenograft tumors and their derivatives
- Demonstrated experience in human immuno-oncology cellular assay development, including proliferation, cytotoxicity, cytokine production and migration
- Expertise in plate-based, flow cytometric and imaging-based assays
- Experience in design and analysis of 8-12 color flow cytometric experiments
- Ability to analyze data, construct graphs and generate both detailed and executive summary reports.
- Must be able to effectively interact and communicate with laboratory management and other laboratory personnel
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and communicate scientific data to internal and external colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of integrity and confidentiality.
- Possess creative problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
- Possess superior planning, organizational, computer, written and verbal communication skills and the ability to network and negotiate effectively.
- Ability to be flexible and assist with other tasks/duties as needed in a small company environment
- Demonstrated accountability and responsibility for own work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- PhD, MD or MD/PhD degree in immunology, oncology or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the field of cellular immunology and/or immuno-oncology
- Demonstrated experience with in vitro assay development
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle and feel.
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing.
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.