Research Associate, Preclinical Flow Cytometry
TITLE AND CLASSIFICATION: Research Associate, Preclinical Flow Cytometry (TOS)
REPORTING LOCATION: Rockville, MD
REPORTING TO: Study Manager, Flow Cytometry
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: The position will work in the flow cytometry laboratory handling samples and preparing for flow cytometry evaluation. Perform standard cell biology techniques to process blood and tissue samples from multiple species. The laboratory process samples in a high-throughput, plate-based manner, requiring ability to use multichannel pipetting. Solid tissue and tumor samples will be dispersed into single cell suspensions. Samples may require cell counting and viability determination using cellometer, hemocytometer, flow cytometer, or other techniques. Sample handling may include cell washing, red blood cell depletion, stimulation, intracellular staining, fixation. Staining of samples with multicolor antibody cocktails. Some PBMC isolation and freezing down cells to create cell banks. Some tissue culture work may be required. He/she will follow SOPs and methods, and carefully record and document processes performed within the laboratory.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- General laboratory proficiency (pipetting, centrifuge, cell handling, cryopreservation, etc.)
- Tumor processing (tumors, spleen) and blood handling.,
- Flow Cytometry sample preparation (antibody cocktail preparation, staining samples)
- Responsible for high quality sample processing.
- Accurate and complete recording during laboratory procedures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- General cell biology laboratory skills, including pipette handling, multi-channel and single, sterile tissue culture technique.
- Experience with flow cytometry a plus
- Ability to perform high throughput and/or plate-based flow cytometry processing
- Some experience with immunology, oncology, and/or drug development a plus.
- Creative problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
- Demonstrated accountability and responsibility for own work.
- Ability to observe safety and security procedures.
- Proficiency with teamwork, multitasking, organization, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to assist with other tasks/duties as needed in a small company environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. with 1-3 years’ experience, or equivalent, in cell biology
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.