Lab Manager Transitional Oncology Solutions
TITLE AND CLASSIFICATION: Lab Manager, TOS R&D / Exempt Position
REPORTING LOCATION: Gaithersburg, MD
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: : Manage operations of the cell culture/ex-vivo laboratory. Directly manage cell culture specialists and laboratory research associates and assist with daily activities within the lab. Oversee and perform basic cross-functional laboratory tasks in support of preclinical and clinical studies. The Lab Manager serves as the primary point of contact in the laboratory for internal R&D and Transitional Oncology Solutions (TOS) assays supporting in vivo studies. This position will validate new offerings and assist in the commercialization of new products and platforms. The Lab Manager will co-develop and manage the execution of new assays in collaboration with the R&D and Scientific Project Leadership team. This role will involve management of cross-functional laboratory assays with a focus on in vitro/ex-vivo and in support of in vivo studies. The Lab Manager will collect, maintain and analyze data using various systems and databases. This role requires a strong technical background, a high level of initiative and strong organizational skills to be able to successfully manage multiple projects at one time.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for overseeing all cell-based operations for a wide range of R&D efforts at a high level of independence.
- Responsible for front line management of team of laboratory research associates and specialists including training, managing schedules, approving timecards (if applicable) and time off requests.
- Responsible for planning and scheduling projects in collaboration with vivarium operations and project leadership.
- Makes recommendations in hiring and firing decisions to upper management.
- Performs annual performance reviews with individuals within the lab.
- Manage and/or performs molecular biology techniques including transfection and infection of cells.
- Prepares and implements SOPs.
- Manage and/or performs relevant 2-D and 3-D assays including high content imaging, ELISA and other multiplex analyses.
- Assist with developing new assays as part of R&D including 3-D/Organoid cell culture.
- Assist with developing and executing on 3-D co-culture assays including PDX and immune cells.
- Troubleshoot, optimize, and develop methods for unmet experimental needs.
- Maintain laboratory records and notebook, organize and compile data, and report results
- Performs data and statistical analysis of data at completion of projects where appropriate.
- Identifies and provides resolution to problems involving ongoing projects.
- Participates and provides feedback in team meetings.
- Identifies potential new opportunities and facilitates ongoing discussions regarding new opportunities with existing platforms and offerings.
- Deliver results in a timely manner, and ensure protocols/documentation/data are accurate.
- Works independently and performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong leadership skills; ability to manage a small team.
- Expertise in basic and advanced cell culture including culturing primary cells and characterizing their growth and survival through the use of 2-D and 3-D cell-based assays.
- Expertise with one or more additional molecular biology technique including IHC and PCR.
- Experience with flow cytometry is preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of integrity and confidentiality.
- Creative problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
- Ability for frequent adaptation, self-organization, accountability.
- Effective oral and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to observe safety and security procedures.
- Ability to assist with other tasks/duties as needed in a small company environment.
- Must have the ability to balance several priorities simultaneously with high attention to detail.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.SB degree + 10 years of relevant experience or MS + 5 years of relevant experience required. Preferred field of study in biology, or related sciences.
- Minimum of 10 (B.S.) or 5 (M.S.) years of relevant laboratory experience.
- Experience working in or adjacent to an animal facility is preferred however direct animal handling will not be required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to sit and work with hands.
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing.
- In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards.
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.