Histology Technician III
TITLE AND CLASSIFICATION: Histology Technician III / Exempt Position
REPORTING LOCATION: Rockville, MD
REPORTS TO: Associate Director, Veterinary Services
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Support in vivo oncology studies in mice as a member of Histology Services
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs routine histology on samples including grossing, sectioning, stain techniques, embedding specimens; conducting specialized procedures, operating automated tissue processors, stainers, slide and cassette printers
- Performs immunohistochemistry staining and protocol development and optimization
- Maintains knowledge through literature review, including the proposal of new protocols
- Selects and utilizes appropriate controls for staining based on tissue and antibody specificity
- Performs antibody and equipment validations and QC/QA of all antibodies and new reagent lots
- Reviews and documents slides for the overall quality of preparation such as staining intensity, proper coverslipping, and stain artifacts
- Performs quality assurance procedures, investigates, and reports discrepancies. Initiates corrective procedures and processes
- Maintains, programs and troubleshoots laboratory equipment, notifying service personnel when more complex problems occur
- Liaises with cross-functional groups, different departments, and Project Leadership to facilitate and maximize performance associated with specific studies
- Performs related general duties such as inventorying supplies and reagents, general lab housekeeping, and maintaining records (safety, equipment, and histology requests)
- Maintains accurate and detailed records using laboratory information management systems and Microsoft office suite programs
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of accountability, integrity, and confidentiality.
- Creative problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
- Superior planning, organizational, computer, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to assist with other duties in a dynamic environment
- Understanding of clinical testing regulations and standards (e.g. AAALAC, CLIA)
- Ability to observe safety and security procedures
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS degree in biology, pharmacology, or related field, or minimum or 5 years of related experience
- Completion of an accredited histology program
- Experience with immunohistochemistry including design and validation of new protocols and antibodies
- Experience in contract research animal facility or industry setting is preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle and feel.
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing.
- In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards.
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.