Histology Laboratory Assistant
TITLE AND CLASSIFICATION: Histology Laboratory Assistant/ Non-exempt Position
REPORTING LOCATION: Rockville, MD
REPORTS TO: Associate Director, Veterinary Services
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Support in vivo oncology studies in mice as a member of Histology Services
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares labeled tubes, slides, and vials as directed.
- Processes fresh and fixed samples, including preparation for shipping, as directed
- Performs related general duties such as inventorying supplies and reagents, general lab housekeeping, and maintaining safety records
- Operates and maintains laboratory equipment, including automated tissue processors, slide and cassette printers
- Maintain accurate and detailed records using laboratory information management systems and Microsoft Office suite programs
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of accountability, integrity and confidentiality.
- Creative problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
- Superior planning, organizational, computer, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to assist with other duties in a dynamic environment
- Understanding of clinical testing and shipping regulations and standards (e.g. AAALAC, CLIA)
- Ability to observe safety and security procedures
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS degree in biology, pharmacology, or related field, or minimum of 1 year of related experience
- Experience in contract research animal facility or industry setting is preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle and feel.
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing.
- In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards.
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.