Head/ VP of Scientific Operations
TITLE AND CLASSIFICATION: Head / VP of Scientific Operations
REPORTING LOCATION: Rockville, MD – Research Blvd.
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: As an integral member of the Executive Team and reporting to the CEO, the VP of Scientific Operations is responsible to oversee and manage multiple teams providing operational leadership and expertise to the scientific day-to-day operations of drug testing for Translational Oncology Services (TOS). The successful candidate will be setting the vision for ongoing improvement of our clinical, co-clinal and pre-clinical research and has overall responsibility and accountability for the operational strategy and execution of associated research platforms.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage scientific operations of preclinical ex vivo and analytical platforms (Ex Vivo and Flow Cytometry) to ensure timely and accurate execution of pharmacology studies
- Work closely with in vivo operations team for seamless study conduct across all platforms
- Key role in growing Champions TumorBank including clinical operations and logistics, genetic and molecular characterization of Patient-Derived Xenografts (PDX), and standard of care testing of PDX models
- Provide technical/scientific input for design and operations of preclinical studies at all stages of drug development across multiple platforms (both in vivo and ex vivo)
- Initiate new or improved preclinical programs and build scalable operations to meet the needs of drug development pipelines and increase revenue
- Improve efficiencies, streamline processes and communication, lower operating costs
- Identify and facilitate the resolution of study deviations
- Provide input into hiring and firing decisions; conduct performance appraisals and provide counseling when needed
- Develop and manage a dashboard with clear metrics that reflect the business needs
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Scientific oversight and lab operations management experience within a CRO or company environment
- Knowledge of and experience in animal welfare and state and federal regulations regarding preclinical studies
- Demonstrated orientation and credibility with leading oncology experts, industry peers, and senior level company stakeholders to support scientific and business strategies
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of integrity and confidentiality
- Demonstrated ability to meet short-term deadlines and multi-task in a very fast-paced work environment in an executive leadership role. Ability to “roll up your sleeves” and individually contribute to accomplishing specific timelines and goals
- Possess creative problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions
- Possess superior planning, organizational, computer, written and verbal communication skills and the ability to network and negotiate effectively
- Ability to be flexible and assist with other tasks/duties as needed in a small company environment.
- Demonstrated accountability and responsibility for own work
- Ability to observe safety and security procedures
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS/MS/Ph.D. in related field with 10+ years of lab management industry experience
- 10+ years of increasing responsibility in a clinical, co-clinical and pre-clinical operations in a CRO and/or the biotech/pharmaceutical industry, and a strong background in the successful execution of programs
- 10 years of hands-on experience in the management of operations in a fast-paced environment, preferably in pharmacology, oncology or CRO industries
- Excellent leadership experience in managing small to medium size teams
- Outstanding verbal, written, presentation and interpersonal communication skills, including a positive and professional attitude, ability to establish peer relationships across company departments and cross-functional and external teams
- Experience leading and coordinating clinical operations teams is preferred but not required.
- Experience with oncology studies preferred
- Experience with flow cytometry is preferred but not required
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.