Flow Cytometry Specialist
COMPANY: Champions Oncology, Inc.
TITLE AND CLASSIFICATION: Flow Cytometry Specialist, Exempt
REPORTING LOCATION: Gaithersburg, MD
REPORTS TO: Lab Manager, Flow Cytometry (TOS)
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Performs specialized laboratory tasks in flow cytometry in support of preclinical and clinical studies. Maintains and collect data using various systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs as the technical lead with new platform development to expand TOS offerings in Flow Cytometry.
- Leads analysis efforts including preclinical and clinical flow cytometry. Generates and analyses data associated with these platforms.
- Designs panels for cell phenotyping and validates new antibodies and gating methods.
- Acts as a technical point of contact for internal and external stakeholders around flow cytometric assays.
- Develops workflow protocols and SOPs for GCP compliance.
- Assists Program and Project Leaders in tracking models and animals designated for preclinical research for TOS sponsor studies and R&D.
- Maintains sample inventories and logs for chain of custody tracking and reporting.
- Performs molecular biology techniques involved with processing of sample for flow cytometry including blood, spleen, bone marrow and tumor tissues.
- Cryopreserves blood and tissue samples for future viable staining and analysis.
- Provides high quality, analyzed data to Project Leaders and/or clients.
- Assists with other laboratory based duties and projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Has expertise in flow cytometry (FACS) analyses
- Can perform as least some of the following additional ex vivo analyses independently: PCR, histology, immunohistochemistry, ELISA, and culture of primary cells.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of integrity and confidentiality.
- Creative problem solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
- Strong planning, organizational, computer, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated accountability and responsibility for own work.
- Ability to observe safety and security procedures.
- Ability to assist with other tasks/duties as needed in a small company environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- MS degree or BS with 5+ years’ experience in biology, pharmacology or related field.
- Must have at least one year of multicolor flow cytometry experience.
- Experience with FlowJo and BD FACSuite software is preferred
- Prefer minimum 5 years of basic laboratory and animal facility experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to sit and work with hands.
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing.
- In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards.
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.