Ex Vivo Specialist
TITLE AND CLASSIFICATION: Ex Vivo Specialist/ Exempt Position
REPORTING LOCATION: Rockville, MD
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Perform cross-functional laboratory assays with a focus on 2-D and 3-D ex-vivo assays utilizing patient-derived xenografts and cell lines. Co-develop new assays in collaboration with the R&D team. Maintain, collect and analyze data using various systems and databases.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Perform basic and advanced cell-based assays characterizing their growth and survival, through the use of 2-D and 3-D platforms.
• Proficiency in relevant 2-D and 3-D ex vivo assay endpoints including cell viability, flow cytometry, high content imaging and multiplex analyses.
• Lead platform development initiatives including 3-D/Organoid generation for drug testing.
• Assist with developing and executing on 3-D co-culture assays including PDX and immune cells.
• Conduct and analyze ELISA based assays.
• Assist with sample processing for multiple assays.
• Analyze data in GraphPad Prism software.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Expertise in cell culture and cell-based assays.
• Experience with ex vivo drug testing including design, execution, and analysis.
• Experience with tumor dissociation techniques is highly preferred.
• Experience with analyzing flow cytometry data is highly preferred.
• Proficiency with one or more additional molecular biology techniques including ELISA .
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of integrity and confidentiality.
• Creative problem solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
• Strong planning, organizational, computer, written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated accountability and responsibility for own work with great attention to detail.
• Ability to observe safety and security procedures.
• Ability to assist with other tasks/duties as needed in a small company environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• BS degree + 4 years of relevant experience or MS + 2 years of relevant experience required. Preferred field of study in biology, or related sciences.
• Minimum of 4 (BS) or 2 (MS) years of relevant laboratory experience.
• Experience working in or adjacent to an animal facility is preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Must be able to sit and work with hands.
• Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds.
• Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
• Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing.
• In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards.
• Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.