Attending Veterinarian/Associate Director – Exempt
TITLE AND CLASSIFICATION: Attending Veterinarian/Associate Director, Veterinary Services – Exempt
REPORTING LOCATION: Rockville, MD
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Global Laboratory Operations
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Serves as the Attending Veterinarian in support of the in vivo oncology research program in mice.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as Attending Veterinarian and manage clinical cases.
- Manage the Rodent Pathogen Surveillance Monitoring Program and Import/Export Program.
- Manage rodent technical procedures and surgical training.
- Draft, review, and revise veterinary- and facility-related SOPs and documents.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of animal welfare, state, and federal regulations and guidance related to the use of animals in research (USDA, OLAW, and AAALAC).
- Knowledge of the diagnosis and treatment of laboratory animal disease.
- Knowledge of vivarium operations.
- Superior planning, organizational, computer, written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective and engaging teacher and trainer.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- DVM/VMD from AVMA accredited institution.
- Board certification or eligibility by the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine.
- Experience in Laboratory Animal Medicine through the completion of a formal residency program or relevant work experience.
- Extensive mouse technical procedure and surgical experience.
- Experience working with mice in an oncology research environment preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle and feel.
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing.
- In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards.
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.