TITLE AND CLASSIFICATION: Associate Scientist, Exempt Position
REPORTING LOCATION: Baltimore, MD
REPORTS TO: Director, Translational Oncology Solutions (TOS)
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Performs specialized laboratory tasks in support of in vivo studies. Maintains and collect data using various systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs as the technical lead with new platform development to expand TOS offerings.
- Leads analysis efforts including flow cytometry and immunohistochemistry. Generates and analyses data associated with these techniques.
- Assists Program/Project Leaders in tracking models and animals designated for preclinical research for TOS sponsor studies and R&D.
- Leverages in vivo animal handling skills, including subcutaneous tumor implantations, tumor volume measurements, tissue/blood collection for ex vivo analysis.
- Administration of therapeutic agents through different routes of administration (including IP, PO, IV)
- Performs basic cell culture including culturing primary cells and characterizing their growth and survival through the use of cell based assays. Compiles and analyses data from cell based assays.
- Performs molecular biology techniques including DNA/RNA extraction, preparation of plasmids, transfection and infection of cells.
- Assist with the characterization of TumorgraftsTM by Gene Expression, PCR, and, HLA typing.
- Assists with sample processing and Histology.
- Assist with the propagation and maintenance of TumorgraftTM banks for the Company
- Assists with other laboratory based duties and projects as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- High skill level with flow cytometry experimental design, processing and analysis.
- Ability to learn and perform at least some of the following in vivo pharmacology techniques: animal handling; tumor implantation; tumor measurement; drug preparation; drug administration by various routes; survival surgery, venipuncture, terminal bleed, and cardiac puncture in mice.
- Ability to learn and perform as least some of the following ex vivo analyses: PCR, histology, immunohistochemistry, ELISA, flow cytometry and culture of primary cells.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of integrity and confidentiality.
- Creative problem solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
- Strong planning, organizational, computer, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated accountability and responsibility for own work.
- Ability to observe safety and security procedures.
- Ability to assist with other tasks/duties as needed in a small company environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS/MS degree in biology, pharmacology or related field preferred but not required.
- Prefer minimum 3 years of basic laboratory and animal facility experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle and feel.
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing.
- In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards.
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.
Send resume to [email protected]