Associate Director, Vivarium & Facility Operations
TITLE AND CLASSIFICATION: Associate Director, Vivarium & Facility Operations – Exempt Position
REPORTING LOCATION: Rockville, MD
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Global Laboratory Operations
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Provide strategic and daily leadership for all vivarium and facility operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide strategic departmental direction and leadership, including staff recruitment, development and motivation, oversight of improvement projects, and capacity assessment
• Provide daily oversight of vivarium and facility operations and teams.
• Mentor Supervisor(s), Team Lead(s), and team members
• Participate and prepare for regulatory and client audits and visits
• Serve as alternate Attending Veterinarian
• Interface with cross functional teams to identify and improve interactions
• Develop and implement metric driven performance management
• Participate in vivarium and facility expansion efforts
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Deep experience and expertise managing animal care programs and vivarium operations.
• Deep experience with vivarium and laboratory design and new facility construction.
• Experience with preclinical in vivo pharmacology or oncology studies in mice.
• Ability to work quickly, effectively, and productively in a team-oriented environment.
• Ability to apply creative problem-solving skills and sound judgment in making timely decisions.
• Superior planning, organizational, computer, written, and verbal communication skills.
• Inherent flexibility to assist with other duties in a dynamic environment.
• Understanding of animal welfare regulations and standards (e.g. AAALAC, OLAW) within US, EU, and China
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• DVM/VMD from AVMA accredited institution.
• Board certification or eligibility by the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine.
• Experience in Laboratory Animal Medicine through the completion of a formal residency program or relevant work experience.
• Minimum of 10 years of related experience including 5 years in a leadership role.
• Extensive mouse technical procedure and surgical experience.
• Experience working with mice in an oncology research environment preferred.
• Experience in contract research animal facility or industry setting preferred.
• Continuous improvement experience preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• Must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle and feel
• Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds
• Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
• Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing
• In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards
• Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue
This job description may be change to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.