Vivarium Operations Technician
TITLE AND CLASSIFICATION: Vivarium Operations Technician/ Non-exempt
REPORTING LOCATION: Rockville, MD
REPORTS TO: Manager, Laboratory Operations
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Support research studies by providing the highest standard of humane treatment and care of all animals housed within our animal care and use program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct daily rounds to ensure animal welfare.
- Perform routine animal husbandry.
- Perform routine sanitation of cage components and the animal facility.
- Receive and house animals.
- Ensure compliance with institutional, regulatory, and animal welfare protocols, policies, and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge and understanding of a laboratory animal care and use program.
- Knowledge of animal welfare, state, and federal regulations regarding preclinical studies (USDA, OLAW, AAALAC, and CLIA).
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of integrity and confidentiality.
- Strong planning, organizational, computer, written and verbal communication skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- AS/BS degree in veterinary technology, animal sciences, biology, or related field or an equivalent amount of related experience.
- Entry level to 4 years of directly related experience.
- Thorough understanding and comprehension of facts, techniques, nomenclature, equipment, and theories of animal sciences as they relate specifically to job performance and function in the laboratory animal research environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to stand and use hands to finger, handle and feel.
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time using equipment and supplies in a typical laboratory animal facility environment.
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing.
In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards.
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Committed team environment
- Daily interaction with the world’s leading experts in cancer treatment