Research Technician III/ Non-exempt Position
POSITION TITLE: Research Technician III / Non-exempt Position
LOCATION: Baltimore, MD
REPORTS TO: Laboratory Operations Manager
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Perform basic laboratory tasks in support of in vivo oncology studies and tumor banking in mice. Maintain and collect data using various systems. Manage studies and perform more advanced technical manipulations such as IV administration and orthotopic implantations. Serve as a mentor for more junior staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in developing in vivo oncology models.
- Perform in vivo drug studies in oncology for the contract research program for the Company.
- Proficiently perform survival animal surgeries.
- Administer therapeutic agents through different routes of administration (including IP, PO, SC and possibly IV).
- Assist with the tracking of samples and sending samples to sponsor companies.
- Assist with arrangements for characterization of ChampionsTumorGraft models by Gene Expression, Oncogene Mutations, Comparative Genomic Hybridization (CGH), Promoter Methylation, Micro-RNA and Proteomics.
- Assist in the development and management of the Company’s sophisticated database for Champions TumorGraft implantation, propagation, characterization, testing, reporting and biomarker discovery.
- Assist with the propagation and maintenance of ChampionsTumorGraft banks for the Company.
- Assist with the Company’s personalized Champions TumorGraft implantation and initial propagation program.
- Record data using a LIMS system.
- Work weekends and holidays on a rotating basis.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge and understanding of the working of a contract research organization in the area of oncology.
- Demonstrated ability to perform at least some of the following in in vivo oncology tumor models: animal handling; tumor implantation; tumor measurement; drug preparation; oncology drug administration by IP, IV, SC and by oral gavage; proficient in survival surgery, venipuncture, and cardiac puncture in immunocompromised mice.
- Knowledge of methods to analyze tumor measurements, table results, and construct graphs.
- Ability to analyze tumor measurements, table results, construct graphs and maintain the Company’s sophisticated database.
- Knowledge of animal welfare and state and federal regulations regarding preclinical studies (AAALAC and CLIA).
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of integrity and confidentiality.
- Creative problem solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
- Proficiently manage multiple studies at one time.
- Superior planning, organizational, computer, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated accountability and responsibility for own work.
- Ability to observe safety and security procedures.
- Ability to assist with other tasks/duties as needed in a small company environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS/MS degree in biology, pharmacology or related field or 8 years of experience in lieu of a degree.
- Experience working in a contract animal facility or industry setting devoted to preclinical drug testing is absolutely required.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of experience in contract research animal facility or industry setting devoted to preclinical drug testing may be substituted for the degree
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle, and feel
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility.
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing.
- In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards.
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue.
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.
Send resume to [email protected].