Research Technician I
POSITION TITLE: Research Technician I / Non-exempt Position
LOCATION: Rockville, MD
REPORTS TO: Laboratory Operations Manager
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Perform laboratory tasks in support of in vivo oncology studies and tumor banking in mice. Maintain and collect data using various systems. Learn study management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in developing in vivo oncology models in mice.
- Perform in vivo drug studies in oncology for the contract research program for the Company.
- Administer therapeutic agents through different routes of administration (including IP, PO, SC and possibly IV).
- Take tissue or blood sample and process for shipment to sponsor.
- Assist with the tracking of samples and sending samples to sponsor companies.
- Assist with arrangements for characterization of Tumorgrafts by Gene Expression, Oncogene Mutations, Comparative Genomic Hybridization (CGH), Promoter Methylation, Micro-RNA and Proteomics.
- Maintain tissue samples within database as well as the tumor bank.
- Assist with the propagation and maintenance of Tumorgraft banks for the Company.
- Assist with the Company’s personalized Tumorgraft implantation and initial propagation program.
- Record data using a LIMS system.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated ability to perform at least some of the following in in-vivo oncology tumor models: animal handling; tumor implantation; tumor measurement; necropsy; drug preparation; oncology drug administration by IP, IV, SC and by oral gavage; survival surgery, venipuncture, terminal bleed, and cardiac puncture in mice.
- Knowledge of methods to analyze tumor measurements, table results, and construct graphs.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of integrity and confidentiality.
- Creative problem solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions.
- Good planning, organizational, computer, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated accountability and responsibility for own work.
- Ability to observe safety and security procedures.
- Ability to assist with other tasks/duties as need in a small company environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS/MS degree in biology, pharmacology or related field or 4 years of experience in lieu of a degree
- Minimum 1 – 3 years of experience in contract research animal facility or industry setting devoted to preclinical drug testing may be substituted for the degree
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle and feel
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing
- In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Committed team environment
- Daily interaction with the world’s leading experts in cancer treatment