Laboratory Research Associate / Non-Exempt Position
POSITION TITLE: Laboratory Research Associate / Non-Exempt Position
REPORTING LOCATION: Baltimore, MD
REPORTS TO: Scientific Laboratory Manager
PRIMARY OBJECTIVES: Perform basic cross-functional laboratory tasks in support of in vivo oncology studies. Maintain and collect data using various systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform basic cell culture including culturing primary cells and characterizing their growth and survival through the use of cell-based assays.
- Perform molecular biology techniques including preparation of plasmids, transfection and infection of cells.
- Assist with characterization of Champions TumorGrafts by gene expression, PCR, oncogene mutations and HLA typing.
- Assist with sample processing and Histology.
- Assist in analysis techniques including Flow Cytometry and Immunostaining.
- Assist with the propagation and maintenance of Champions TumorGraft bank for the Company.
- Assist with new platform development.
- Assist in performing tasks involved in the studies of in vivo oncology models, including subcutaneous tumor implantations, tumor volume measurements, data collection and analysis.
- Administration of therapeutic agents through different routes of administration (including IP, PO, and possibly IV).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to learn and perform at least some of the following in in-vivo oncology tumor models: animal handling; tumor implantation; tumor measurement; drug preparation; oncology drug administration by IP, IV and by oral gavage; survival surgery, venipuncture, terminal bleed, and cardiac puncture in immunocompromised mice.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and productively in a team-oriented environment while maintaining a strong sense of integrity and confidentiality.
- Creative problem solving skills and the ability to exercise sound and accurate judgment in making timely decisions
- Strrong planning, organizational, computer, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated accountability and responsibility for own work.
- Ability to observe safety and security procedures.
- Ability to assist with other tasks/duties as need in a small company environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BS degree required. Preferred field of study in biology, pharmacology or related sciences.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant laboratory experience.
- Experience in an animal facility is preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle and feel
- Must be able to lift and move packages weighing up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time using a computer in a typical office environment in a multi-level facility
- Some activities require repetitive motion and reaching, pulling or pushing
- In carrying out the duties of the job there will be frequent exposure to fumes and chemical hazards
- Duties performed routinely require exposure to blood, body fluid and tissue
This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Committed team environment
- Daily interaction with the world’s leading experts in cancer treatment